Neuschwanstein Castle is a 19th-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany. The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and in honour of Richard Wagner. The ruins above the family palace were known to the crown prince from his excursions. Ludwig paid for the palace out of his personal fortune and by means of extensive borrowing, rather than Bavarian public funds.
The castle was intended as a home for the king, until he died in 1886. It was open to the public shortly after his death. Since then more than 61 million people have visited Neuschwanstein Castle. Neuschwanstein embodies both the contemporaneous architectural fashion known as castle romanticism , and Ludwig II’s enthusiasm for the operas of Richard Wagner. More than 1.3 million people visit annually, with as many as 6,000 per day in the summer.